[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:

> are you sure that you set ORACLE_SID appropriately?
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect sys/change_on_install@XXX as sysdba
> startup (nomount)
>
> replace XXX with your SID, typically ORCL.
>
> if this doesn't help, try:

sorry - this was misleading: meant use O9i on RH7.2

- i/we use O9i
twice .. on RH7.2 ,
twice .. on SunOS 5.8,
thrice .. on W2k

and they all work fine - so far.

> use O9i on RH7.2 twice, SunOS 5.8 twice, W2k twice- they all run fine.
>

> you need a workaround to get it started, esp the binutils must be downgraded
> for
> installation. (rpm -Uhv --nodeps --force binutils-2.10.0.18-1.i386.rpm from
> release RH7.0). after installation
> of oracle you can upgrade again. (rpm -Uhv binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9.i386.rpm)

after upgrading again edit the file
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh
find the line
LD_SELF_CONTAINED="-z defs"
and edit so, that it reads
LD_SELF_CONTAINED=""

then
cd $ORQACLE_HOME
relink all

the latter builds all binaries newly.

this worked for me - on both RH7.2 dual-piii-machines with O9i -
will change to glibc-2.2.4-24.i686.rpm   kernel-smp-2.4.9-31.i686.rpm  shortly -

and - on request - report after that.