Make sure that the volume group underlying the logical volume is ONLINE?

To test, I like to do something quick like "dd if=<raw-device> of=/dev/null count=100" to test the readability of the raw device.  If this fails, you can go to the SysAdmin with something that is pure UNIX...
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:41 AM
Subject: FILE IDENTIFY wait event

Oracle8.1.7 on Solaris8

I am trying to create a tablespace on a raw device and the SQL*Plus session that performs the tablespace creation is waiting on a 'file identify'. A quick search on metalink and other docs did not indicate the root cause of the wait event.
I have used the raw device previously and the create tablespace uses the 'REUSE' option.

Okay gurus...any clues as to exactly what conditions cause the event?

Dan Fink