Rachel,
 I agree with your statement but since you used the word "logically" ,
I questioned the workings of Oracle and why or how they do things. If I
remember correctly you had to make a column "unusable" before you could
drop it. It didn't make sense to me. Why not just drop the column and
clean the data up at the next export/import/reorg or leave the data in
the table and ignore the space used but not seen.
 There have been a few tips and hints listed on this list about making
changes in the Oracle tables to accomplish desired tasks that were not
supported by Oracle. Perhaps this is such an item that Oracle has
decided to support after testing. I heard rumors of a future publication
that is based on the "tips and hints" that accomplish what Oracle can
not do with normal commands, but they work properly. Perhaps such a
publication will help convince Oracle to test and incorporate them in
release 10.x.
 Thanks,
Ron
ROR mô¿ôm

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/22/02 02:25PM >>>
Ron,

I can't test it here, but logically it seems it shouldn't matter if
there is data in the column or not as column_name is NOT stored within
the table itself but within the data dictionary.

Rachel

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael