-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 23 May 2002 6:04 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Oracle 8.0.5, peoplesoft version 7.51

We have a report that has stopped working due to running out of temporary
space.

The first step was to check the explain plan.  I compared the explain plans
between the
production database and a dev database that is approx 6 months old.  They
were very different.

Upon review we found that the production database is now using a different
index then the dev system.

I made a copy of the prod database, deleted the index, and the explain plan
and sql performed the
same as the dev system.

Question I have is, what would cause the cost based optimizer to choose a
different index.  The only thing
that has changed is the number of rows in the source table.

Statistics are up-todate, and I have re-built the indexes in question.

Thanks

Darren

Darren Browett P.Eng                                            This message
was transmitted
Data Administrator                                              using 100%
recycled electrons
Information and Communication Technology
City of Coquitlam
P:(604)927 - 3614
E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: Browett, Darren