Hi,

Asked you sys admin to boost the maximum memory
allowable for a process.

I had that error on a hp box. I do not remember the
name of the parameters. Once the sys admin had changed
the memory process parameters, processes were able to
use way more than 150M of ram.

You can increase the sort_area_size for a particular
session with alter session instead of bouncing the db.

What I've done at a previous client was to change the
session parameters using a database logon trigger who
was checking in a table what sort/hash values to put
for each user.

 --- DENNIS WILLIAMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a
écrit : > This weekend I was rebuilding a large table
and when
> it came time to rebuild
> the indexes, I cranked the SORT_AREA_SIZE up to 1/2
> gig. It bombed off with
> an ORA-04030. I kept reducing the SORT_AREA_SIZE
> (bouncing the instance to
> make the change) until I got it down to 150-meg.
> Then everything ran fine. I
> discussed this with my Unix system administrator and
> he felt everything was
> fine from his end. I ran Oracle's maxmem utility and
> received:
>
> oracle.fin7>maxmem
> Memory starts at: 5369596416 (1400d8a00)
> Memory ends at:   6399795195 (17d751ffb)
> Memory available: 1030198779 (3d6795fb)
>
> So it seems like I could have SORT_AREA_SIZE much
> higher than 150-meg. The
> indexes built fine, but I am curious about the
> problem. Any ideas?
>
> Oracle 8.1.6 (until Oracle gets a good 8.1.7
> version)
> Compaq Tru64 4.0E
> 4-cpu.
> 4-gig. of system memory.
> shared_pool_size = 400-meg
> This is the only instance on this server.
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle, consultant entrepôt de données
Oracle DBA, datawarehouse consultant

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=