-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 3:32 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

<Snip>

Kirti,

   I had a vague remembrance of something which might have been helpful
in dbms_utility but the closer you get to is a comma_to_table()
procedure. Even without your reluctance to REPLACE(), you would be lucky
if your data could bear this kind of transformation.
  Well, its a bit like sweeping dirt under the carpet, but I think that
a function
                 getfield(string in varchar2, pos in number, separator
in char)
                 return varchar2;
 full of substr and instr should make the upper level query more legible

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software
Author: Deshpande, Kirti