I don't have Text installed on a db thats readily to
hand, but isn't this just a case of running the
following and seeing what happens:

create table waterfalls
 ( falls_name  varchar2(100),
   falls_directions clob );

insert into waterfalls
values ('mac falls','SOME UPPER TEXT WITH MACKINAC
BRIDGE IN THERE');

create index IX1 on waterfalls ( falls_directions)
indextype is ctxsys.context

SELECT falls_name
FROM waterfalls
WHERE
   CONTAINS(falls_directions,'mackinac bridge') > 0;

hth
connor

 --- Jonathan Gennick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
I need to ask a question of someone who understands
> Oracle Text
> indexes. So if you know Oracle Text, please read on.
>
>  I was told that if I had a query such as the
> following:
>
> SELECT falls_name
> FROM waterfalls
> WHERE INSTR(UPPER(falls_directions),
>             'MACKINAC BRIDGE') <> 0;
>
> where falls_directions is a CLOB, that I can define
> a case-insensitive
> index using Oracle Text and then use CONTAINS to
> execute the query
> more efficiently:
>
> SELECT falls_name
> FROM waterfalls
> WHERE
>    CONTAINS(falls_directions,'mackinac bridge') > 0;
>
> Is this correct? Is there such a thing as a
> case-insensitive index in
> Oracle Text? I did take a quick look at the Oracle
> Text manual, but
> this capability didn't leap out at me. Is
> "case-insensitive" the term
> Oracle Text uses? In any case, I need to verify
> whether what I've been
> told is correct.
>
> Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you
> are
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] * 906.387.1698
> http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com *
> http://ValleySpur.com
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Jonathan Gennick
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=