I always thought it was for separating instance-specific parameters from database-specific parameters in an OPS environment.  At least, that's one place where it is very useful to have separate files.  Of course, it was a matter of style whether "config.ora" was the database-level one or vice-versa...

Also, somewhere back in the mists of time, any ".ora" file for initialization parameters had to be less than 10,000 characters in size;  anything beyond that boundary was simply not used (I kid you not!).  So, having multiple files related by "ifile=" was the workaround, especially for those neurotic souls who insisted on leaving comments for documentation...
----- Original Message -----
From: Fink, Dan
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 10:48 AM
Subject: Init.ora and Config.ora

Beware...DBA heresy below...

I am in the process of cleaining up parameter files and wonder why we still maintain an init.ora and config.ora. The original rational was that one contained the database configuration/creation parameters while the other was used for tuning.

Is there a good reason why we have 2 files instead of a single file?

Daniel W. Fink
Sr. Oracle DBA
MICROMEDEX
303.486.6456