Erik,

The doc may be old but the method still stands ;-)  You can dice and slice  the
wait events in anyway you want. But basically what you are interested in is the
wait events for the foreground (system wide), so you do some thing like this:

System wide:

v$system_event - (v$session_event for the background processes).

Then you should consider a couple of events like:
SQL*net message from client
pipe get
etc.

Session level

The only thing to consider here is the wait events listed before.

Now we have the big BUT:
What about waits that are not accounted for ? Like OS waits  (waiting for a
memory page, waiting for CPU, etc). How can you see them ? And how do know
where the problem is ? So you will get a level of detail that will contain
errors/holes. And as long as the holes are not big enough, it doesn't matter.
But what if you are really running out of CPU ? The hole will get bigger and
your wait events don't really matter that much.

I will make a list of idle events available through oraperf.com. That list is
used by the report generator also.

Anjo.

Author: Anjo Kolk