Title: privileges and synonyms and dblinks

All of a sudden this is not making sense to me.

Oracle 8.1.7.3 on HP-UX 11i

I have a public db link (link1)

I have a user (user1) who creates a PRIVATE synonym.
(user1.syn1) that points to a table on the other database
using the dblink.

User2, having ONLY the CONNECT role, cannot
do a describe of   user1.syn1, but CAN
issue a 'select * from user1.syn1' and get data
back.  I know that since the db link is public with
a account/password, he could get the data anyway by,
but what I can figure out is why it resolves the synonym
at all when it is private?

Am I missing something here?

----
Matt Adams - GE Appliances - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Doing linear scans over an associative array is like
trying to club someone to death with a loaded Uzi."
    - Larry Wall (creator of Perl)