Good discussion.

We have exactly the same setup. You are correct Suzy. However would like to
confirm that WL manages the connection pools and like Suzy has mentioned is
how they are set.

Before starting the application a minimum number of connection pools are
defined for weblogic and when the application starts one will notice that
many connections made to Oracle.  Now these minimum connections (used or not
used) remain attached to the database for the life of the application (at
least that is what we are noticing).

Kriti, I am not sure what JDBC driver you are using. Thick or thin? if you
are using the JDBC thick driver you have some control, like you can enable
TNS tracing on both the client and database server side and look at the
traffic. Also there is another great tool (really good) called Velocitop (i
think that is how its spelt) that is placed in front of the JDBC connection
on the app server side. Using this tool you could clearly measure and drill
down various aspects of the network traffic, initiator, requests, waits,
commits, rollbacks etc.

Now one hurdle, is with transaction management, since WL logic takes care of
cleaning up transactions, the developers do not explicitly disconnect or
complete a connection for reusability. This is bad, because while we are
moving away from WL, the new application server will not do this automatic
closing of connections hence these connections are being consumed pretty
quickly.

Long, connections pools have a similar behavior as MTS or Shared Servers (in
Oracle 9i) Basically to share connections to the database.

Regards

Murali

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:53:18 -0800

Again, I'm a little rusty on WL, it's been awhile (4.5) and don't have
access to a current working environment.  So, someone please correct
where I'm wrong...

The WL server does manage the connection pool.  The WL server creates a
pool of database connections at server startup (initialCapacity).  When
the app code makes a database call, it accesses a connection from the
pool then releases it back to the pool when the database call
completes.  IIRC, there are Java classes for accessing & releasing
connections from the pool.

If all initialCapacity connections in the pool are in-use, WL server
allocates more connections in the pool as needed (capacityIncrement), up
to and not exceeding maxCapacity.  There are other parameters that
control the pool, which Bill Pass mentions in his reply.

Suzy

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 > Suzy,
 >
 > You said "The app java code should be managing the allocation and release
of
 > connections within the pool". Do not know anything about connection pool,
so this might be a naive question: It seems to me that it is not a good set
up if the applications have to do the pool managing themselved; why can't WL
do the pool
 > managing itself?
 >
 > Long

Web