From: Chetan
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 3:38 AM
Subject: Oracle Performance Tuning steps
 Hi guys ,

Need some help. Actually we are looking here at a Oracle 8.1.7 db on HP-UNIX. The application was running fine uptil yesterday. Suddenly a part of the appln is running extremely slow. I can not figure what might be the problem. Wanted to track this down asap.

Here is some information about the db.

Database size - 20GB

Optimizer - CHOOSE

Disk Structure - RAID 1+0

No. of processors - 4

Block Size - 8K

Archivelog mode : ARCHIVELOG

Please tell me what should be the ideal way I should try to trace the problem. I thought of running UTLBSTAT/UTLESTAT or STATSPACK and asked the user to run that part of the appln. Has anybody worked with STATSPACK before ?

Can anybody tell me what should accurate and fastest way to hunt down the problem ? I think its something to do with indexes or changes in the queries.

Also can someone tell me the ideal backup strategy for this database considering the fact that it's a 24x7 system.

Thanks in advance .

Chetan Chindarkar

begin:vcard
n:;Kavitha