Are you sure?  I've seen two very common examples in
the past which lead people to think that hints are
ignored when in fact they have not been:

Example 1:

In SQL, select /*+HINT*/ will work, but in PL/SQL,
select /*+HINT*/ fails since the space trailing the +
is missing.

Example 2:

select /*+ USE_MERGE(e) */ ...
from DEPT d, EMP e

can come back with a hash join - but the hint has NOT
been ignored, it has been 'avoided'.  USE_MERGE simply
says if EMP is the *target* in the join, then make
sure its a sort-merge.  That of course does not stop
EMP being the *driver* table in a hash join.

hth
connor

 --- "Miller, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Do you know in what version this became the case?  I
> certainly remember some
> hints being ignored in version 8.0.

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=