Alan,

The alter table move command will invalidate all
existing indicies and you will have to rebuild them.
This is because the alter table move is implemented as
a CTAS in the background, and all of the rowids will
change.

table move tips:

1) use parallelism - however, parallel processes will
write to their own segments, and will trim the unused
space off the end for all but one of the segments
during the final merge of all the segments into the
new index segment. This can give you odd sized
segments, throwing off uniform space allocation (if
you use that).

index rebuilding tips:

1) If your index is partitioned, you can rebuild the
partitions at the same time, and rebuild all of your
indexes at the same time. However, you cannot
update/insert/delete the table while this is going
forward, unless you use the "online" option, which has
limitations.
2) Use parallel (degree x) to rebuild, since it will
spawn off more processes and take less time. see space
considerations above.
3) Use nologging, unless you want to store your
indexes in the redo logs (otherwise, you can always
just recreate, much easier)
4) use the "compute statstics" clause to gather stats
during the build
5) consider using initrans 4 or better, otherwise, you
risk running into deadlocks during parallel updates
(doesn't take up that much more space - 23 bytes or
so). Same for pctfree - leave 1 pct, otherwise the ITL
list can't grow and you might get into trouble.
6) some indexes can be built online, which allows
updates to go forward during the rebuild.

hth,

jack

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Author: Jack Silvey