"database indepdent"...

oh dear...You're doomed :-)

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1062923::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,

http://download-east.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/appdev.901/a89852/to
> > c.htm
> >
> > Kevin
> > --------
> > The "Any" types provide highly flexible modeling
> of procedure
> > parameters and
> > table columns where the actual type is not known.
> These datatypes let
> > you
> > dynamically encapsulate and access type
> descriptions, data instances,
> > and
> > sets of data instances of any other SQL type.
> These types have OCI
> > and
> > PL/SQL interfaces for construction and access.
> >

> > SYS.AnyData
> > This type contains an instance of a given type,
> with data, plus a
> > description of the type. AnyData can be used as a
> table column
> > datatype and
> > lets you store heterogeneous values in a single
> column. The values
> > can be of
> > SQL built-in types as well as user-defined types.

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=