In Rich's case (I was working with him when his infrastructure
was built) and in mine now, the backups largely define how
database cloning is carried out.  We are using Veritas Snaps here,
allowing me to clone an instance with  few minutes of sync time
and a control file rebuild, much faster than using RMAN or
anything else I have seen to build a clone.  Rich's system copies
all the files to a storage area, which then is used as the
source of datafile copies for his cloning.

In the case of RMAN, the clone requires an extra database be active,
the storage is handled spread over several different files, i.e.
you'll have to reconstitute the datafiles when cloning.  Note, this
is MY understanding and I may be totally off base, I don't use RMAN.
It seems on it's face however that cloning would take longer running
through a repository and rebuilding files than simple file copies
through some other mechanism.

My real point is, backups and clones are intimately related.  If you
don't have to clone very often and/or have a good window for doing
so, overhead associated with how RMAN does its block level backing
up may not be an issue.  If you have to tweak to minimize every
second of development downtime (Rich and I had to do this), another
approach may prove better at meeting that goal.  Regardless, if one
strategy has been implemented, the whole ball of wax has to be addressed
when considering making a change.

Hope this is clearer...and would love to hear other opinions about
this,

John P Weatherman
Database Administrator
Replacements Ltd.