We do essentially the same thing nightly from a dbms
job. Works fine that way. Don't know why yours does
not work. We create the job and run it as "sys as
sysdba". Perhaps it is a permissions thingy.

--- John Weatherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating 8i to 9i over the
> next couple weeks.  One of
> my outstanding tasks it to find a way to keep the
> pfile/spfile synchronized
> as
> much as reasonable possible.  I figured the easiest
> way would be to include
> startup and shutdown triggers to regenerate them
> from each other and include
>
> similar work in the backup.  No, it's not perfect,
> but should be sufficient
> to meet the immediate need, after all pfile will
> eventually go away...maybe.
> Anyway, I wrote the following segment which works
> great at the command line:
>

>   1  DECLARE
>   2  spfile           VARCHAR2(120);
>   3  pfile            VARCHAR2(120);
>   4  cursor_handle    INTEGER;
>   5  return_cd        INTEGER;
>   6  BEGIN
>   7    SELECT

rtrim(a.value,'bdump')||'pfile/spfile'||b.value||'.ora',
>   8

rtrim(a.value,'bdump')||'pfile/init'||b.value||'.ora'

http://health.yahoo.com
Author: Bill Pass