I really try to stay away from OT subjects, but I
simply cannot resist.

There is an article in ComputerWorld that the White
House is considering requiring background checks for
IT workers in positions with access to 'critical
infrastructure'.  This covers just about everyone I
work with.  Now it stands to reason that everyone
involved in designing, building and selling this
'critical infrastructure' should be subject to the
same standards. This is fairly straight forward in the
US but it can quickly become a nightmare for workers
who are foreigh nationals.

It is even more complicated when the workers are
foreign nationals in their home country.  Who will
actually certify that these people are as squeaky
clean as the government requires?  How do you know
that the certifying agency is not itself a front for
some criminal underground?  Sorry if this sounds
cynical but if the Mexican drug lords gun down
government officials in broad daylight and buy
firearms for local police because the government does
not, you just have to be a little suspicious of it
all.

Just a thought.

=== message truncated ===

=====