I have a data conversion team working on our financial data,
prepping it for load into SAP.  My concept for the conversion
process was to download the flat files, run programs written in C
or Perl to transform the data, then use SQL*Loader to load them
into relational tables for constraint testing and general
analysis, prior to export to the SAP system.

At some point early on I lost control, and this mutated into:
download the flat files, load them into Oracle, run stored
procedures to transform the data through 2 or 3 stages to a new
schema for SAP.  Still ok, you're thinking.

But -- now we're running more than a couple hundred thousand rows
at the time, and the developers are still tweaking the process
(because the SAP requirements are slowly mutating -- another
issue).  Frequently the developers will stop a long running query
with ALTER SESSION KILL -- this is working but often takes a very
long time to roll back.  Well, there's the rub -- this is a PC
system, and the developers frequently want to make a tweak to
their program and re-run it.  This puts a tremendous load on what
the PC isn't good at -- I/O.

So I wind up with a frantic developer on the phone "the Oracle
server's locked up!" and sure enough, he's right -- there's so
much going on in there you can't do anything that requires a disk
access.....  The evolved response is shutdown abort, startup
mount, recover, open.  This always works and always takes about 3
minutes.  Naturally, I've moved them to their Very Own server, so
that this doesn't disrupt other work.

Can anyone turn their diagonstic eyes on this situation and
suggest a better method for me to either limit the damage or
recover from the problem?  Or even a good method for analyzing
the problem, given that we haven't the downtime to wait for all
processes to complete (once in this state, a weekend can pass
without successfully ending whatever the database is doing).

begin:vcard
n:Jerman;Don
tel;work:919.508.1886
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Database Management Service,Information Technology
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Database Administrator
adr;quoted-printable:;;Database Management Service,Information Technology=0D=0A104 Fayetteville Street Mall;Raleigh;NC;27699-1521;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-9536
fn:Don Jerman
end:vcard