Howdy,

    I attended a seminar on Oracle data compression in version 9.2 this morning. There
are no web-based handouts to look at. However, there are a few items on it that may be
of interest:

Data compression is based on duplicate fields
Compression is only done on direct operations ( for example, an ordinary insert is not
compressed)
Indexed queries would not be any faster against compressed data (The index is not
compressed, just the data.)
Updates are 10-20% slower.
Deletes are 10% faster.
Full table scans are much faster.

Bottom line is that this would mainly be used for a data warehousing application with
lots of full table scans. It wouldn't be used for anything with lots of updating or
online queries.

Also, we were told that 9.2 is the terminal release of 9i. The next version will be
10i.

Bill Carle
AT&T
Database Administrator