> Q:  What are the chances of knowing whether or not
> subsequent inserts will be able to reuse a slot?

Somewhere between 0 and 100% :-)

For example, take the commit's out of my demo's and
the space is not reused as well as it could be.  There
are so many variations.

This is why I don't believe in rebuilding.
Occasionally if I see an index growing in size
continuously I'll pop an analyze in and see if its
full of holes, and maybe do a rebuild to see what
happens...but if it gets full of holes again, it gets
taken of the list of rebuild candidates.

Similarly, typical candidates for rebuild are indexes
that have a lot of dml activity.  Your "average" index
normally ends up at around 75% full over time, and a
rebuild might take that up to 95% (assumning pctfree
5).  If your app does a lot of range scanning,
performance may get a boost as a result, but that dml
could now suffer due to the need to split blocks.  Can
that be predicted from stats alone?  Unlikely.

If you *know* that query response time is the key for
your system, then I would say that a regular 'alter
index ... coalesce' would be a cheap and very
effective compromise.

hth
connor

 --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > > Bottom Line: I
stand by my original premise -
> > statistics alone do not determine an indexes
> candicacy
> > for rebuild.  Some additional knowledge, eg "I
> know
> > the rows I've deleted will never be replaced" etc
> is
> > needed.
>
> Nice test case Connor, thanks.
>
> Q:  What are the chances of knowing whether or not
> subsequent inserts will be able to reuse a slot?
>
> This would require a history of what is usually
> inserted, and making an assumption about future
> inserts based on that knowledge.
>
> I'm sure there is a good method for doing this,
> though I don't know what it is.  Even so, it may
> not be practical to use.
>
> It seems like 20% of the effort needed to create a
> 'perfect' solution would provide the needed
> information
> to determine if an index should be rebuilt, and be
> correct 80% of the time.
>
> Jared
>

> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=