This is fully allowed and support - it works with just
about any of the "multi-value" parms.  On more recent
versions of Oracle you can see the parameters in this
was using v$parameter2

even better - in 9.2, the utl_file_dir is no longer
required.

hth
connor

 --- John Kanagaraj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Kathy,

> This is probably not documented, but you can have
> multiple lines of
> UTL_FILE_DIR _anywhere_ as _long_as_ you bunch them
> all up without any gaps
> / lines inbetween them (in which case the last set
> overrides the previous
> ones). I have the following in a 7.3.4 Db, all at
> the end (and I bet that
> you are recognizing your favorite ERP system therein
> - Oops my version is
> showing :)
>
> #
> #   ******** VERY VERY IMPORTANT ***********
> #   ***  Keep ALL lines for UTL_FILE_DIR ***
> #   ***  together at the end of the file ***
> #   ***  Otherwise only the last set is  ***
> #   ***  effective                       ***
> #   ******** VERY VERY IMPORTANT ***********
> #
> utl_file_dir = /u001/app/smartdb/files/data/AR
> utl_file_dir = /u01/home/arftp/edi
> utl_file_dir = /u01/home/xxusc4xx
> utl_file_dir =
> /u009/app/XXXX/R10.7/xxloftware/loftware/error
> utl_file_dir =
> /u009/app/XXXX/R10.7/xxloftware/loftware/log
> utl_file_dir =
> /u009/app/XXXX/R10.7/xxloftware/loftware/processed
> utl_file_dir =
> /u009/app/XXXX/R10.7/xxloftware/loftware
>
> I believe you will have to either name specific
> directories or use a single
> '*' (the latter is _not_ a good idea!)
>
> John Kanagaraj
> Oracle Applications DBA
> DB Soft Inc
> Work : (408) 970 7002
>
> Listen to great, commercial-free christian music
> 24x7x365 at
> http://www.klove.com
>
> ** The opinions and facts contained in this message
> are entirely mine
> and do not reflect those of my employer or customers
> **
>

> I don't think it is possible for me to specify
> utl_file=/mymaindirectory/*
> in the init.ora and have files go into the
> subdirectories they need ot
> underneath.  You would think you would be able to
> since you can specify *.
>
> Any takers on this one?
>
> Kathy
>
> Confidential
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
> the property
> of Belkin Components and/or its affiliates, are
> confidential,
> and are intended solely for the use of the
> individual or
> entity to whom this e-mail is addressed.  If you are
> not one
> of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to
> believe
> that you have received this e-mail in error, please
> notify the
> sender and delete this message immediately from your
> computer.
> Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding,
> printing
> [...]

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=