Well this is from the 8.1.7 Doco Concepts guide Section introduction to an
instance, and I quote "This combination of the SGA and the Oracle
processes is called an Oracle instance."
It doesn't include the initora file,  the concepts guide a bit further
into it is this one "To start an instance, Oracle must read a parameter file--a text
file containing a list of configuration parameters (initialization parameters) for
that instance and database".
So if I read that correctly what we generally all refer to a "database" ie
instance all files etc consists of three components:
 instance, database, and parameter file.

"After starting an instance, Oracle associates the instance with the
specified database" I refers to mounting the database so all things that are connected
to an
instance when you mount is the database. that would include all dbf file,
redo, archive.
That would make the alert log though part of the instance

So now where did I go wrong

Cheers

Peter McLarty               E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com
APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
Brisbane,  Australia        Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
                            Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

    - Walter Bagehot (1826-1877 British Economist)
Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

"Karniotis, Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
16-08-2002 05:18 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L