I love emails like this. Do you read the error message at all or you simply email all
your
findings to the list assuming that the list will automatically be interested in
everything
coming from you? Don't you think that starting your email with something like "sorry
guys and
goddesses, I'm a beginner in dire need" would be in order?
Now to your message. You need more semaphores, not disk space. Get a copy of Adrian
Cockroft's
performance tuning book and it will tell you exactly how to modify your /etc/system.
Also, you may try looking for the words like "semaphore" at docs.sun.com. I know it's
unusual
thing to do and much harder then to email this list but you might want to try it
nevertheless.

On 2002.09.07 18:43 ltiu wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Could use some help here.
>
> 1) System specs.
> Solaris 8
> 512MB Ram
> 1GB Swap
> Oracle 9i Rel2
>
> 2) Relevant init.ora parameters:
>
> *.LARGE_POOL_SIZE=1048576
> *.SGA_MAX_SIZE=33554432
> *.SHARED_POOL_SIZE=16777216
> *.SORT_AREA_SIZE=2097152
> *.compatible='9.2.0.1.0'
> *.db_cache_size=2097152
> *.log_buffer=1048576
>
> 3) Starting up database, I get the following error:
> SQL> startup nomount
> ORA-27302: failure occurred at: skgpwreset1
> ORA-27303: additional information: invalid shared ctx
> ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
> ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semget failed with status: 28
> ORA-27301: OS failure message: No space left on device
> ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpsemsper
>
> I have a lot of disk space left - 2.5GB.
>
> I have half of my RAM and the whole swap free when this error occurs.
>
> I appreciate any help and tips.
>
> Thank you.
>
> ltiu
> Author: ltiu