Ok, I haven't had to deal with privileges much lately but this one had be
stumped for a while, V8.1.7 Tru64.

This is from an account with minimal privileges:

SQL> select count(*) from sys.obj$;
select count(*) from sys.obj$
                         *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL> connect sys
Enter password:
Connected.
SQL> grant select on obj$ to utility;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> connect utility/xxxx
Connected.

SQL> select count(*) from sys.obj$;

  COUNT(*)
----------
     37742

SQL> create view o_by_vlo as select name, obj# from sys.obj$;
create view o_by_vlo as select name, obj# from sys.obj$
                                                       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL> connect sys
Enter password:
Connected.
SQL> grant select on obj$ to utility with grant option;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> connect utility/xxxx
Connected.
SQL> create view o_by_vlo as select name, obj# from sys.obj$;

View created.
.  .  .
So it would seem that with grant option is needed to create a view on
another schema's tables.  It took a little thinking on my part to realize
that this makes sense as the view owner would be able to grant privileges on
the underlying tables.  Incidentally, I also found out that you can't use
the grant option within roles.  I wonder why?

Michael Hand
Polaroid Corp

Author: Hand, Michael T