-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 3:26 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'

Dan - May be a good Oracle Support question. I've had pretty good luck with
them on really challenging recoveries. My suggestion would be to try again.
Load the files again from tape, but allow recovery when the database comes
up. Since the database was shutdown abort, Oracle will want to automatically
recover the database when it tries to start. The recovery information is
probably in the redo logs (good reason to back them up).

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 5:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Here's the scenario - A backup was done of a database that had been shutdown
with the abort option. The redo logs (no archiving) are also backed up. The
controlfiles have since been lost.
Business request - Retrieve a schema that has since been dropped from the
database.

Attempted solution - restore the backups, open the db without performing
recovery (resetlogs and readonly corruption allowed). Unfortunately, this
resulted in an ORA-00600 when it attempted to read the SYSTEM datafile.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to open this db so we can get the data out
of the schema? We don't care if it is not consistent.

All assistance is appreciated.

Author: Fink, Dan