The one thing to learn from all of this is to always bounce your services before
performing an
upgrade.  It's the one thing we tend to forget about in a unix env since this services
can be up for
extended periods of time.

<FLAME BAIT>Of course, those on a windows env bounce more routinely and would have
discovered this
library mismatch </FLAME BAIT>

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law. -- Roy Santoro

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      09/17/02 03:13 PM        cc:

                      Please respond to        Subject:  Followup: Apache core dumps
after IP address
                      ORACLE-L                  change (solution)

Thanks to everyone who suggested ideas for my "emergency" yesterday.  The problem only
became
obvious after a complete reinstall of Oracle on my server.  I took this approach after
finding a
thread on the ODTUG-JAVA-L mailing list that talked about how 9iAS Rel 2 has hardcoded
values for
the IP address.  The thread indicated that there was no way of changing the IP address
of a server
short of a complete Oracle reinstall.  After literally exhausting all other ideas of
my own (and
needing to get the server back up asap), I reinstalled Oracle 8.1.7 last night on a
new partition.
Once the default installation finished, everything worked fine.

After restoring my schemas and other configurations, things still continued to work
fine.  Apache
continued to start without core dumping and life was good.  The moment I moved my old
httpd.conf
file back into place, Apache core dumped.  Clearly, it was no longer an issue of
hardcoded IP
addresses, so I started taking the httpd.conf file apart into small pieces.

The culprit was an upgrade RedHat Network passed along to PHP4 and glibc about a month
ago.  I
allowed the PHP4 upgrade and glibc library upgrades to be installed.  Apache continued
to run using
the old libphp4.so module without problem, but the moment I would have had to either
reboot the
server or restart Apache, it would have died because the libraries had changed.
Adding PHP4, BTW,
is a custom enhancement I made to the stock 8.1.7 Apache config as I need it on
several parts of my
server.  I found the latest libphp4.so file, moved it into the /u01/.../libexec
directory, restarted
Apache and all was well with the world again.  17 hours of work later, I believe I
have things as
they should be once again.

Lesson learned: if Apache core dumps (something I haven't seen it do in years) when
restarting after
a long period of uptime, then suspect a module/library problem.

Side note: if anyone wants to know every nook and cranny where Oracle stores your IP
address and
domain names, I can tell you that now. :-)

Thanks again!
bruce

Author: Bruce A. Bergman

Author: Ron Thomas