-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 4:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Howdy,

    I am spooling my sqlplus output to a file with no headings and all the
fields separated by a delimiter. I have a field that is defined as
varchar2(56), but typically only 4 or 5 bytes are filled. Oracle recognizes
that and if you select length(fld1) from the table, you will get 4. But if I
spool this to a file, I always get the full 56 bytes padded with blanks. In
other words, I get 4 bytes of data and 52 blanks for that field. I only want
the four valid bytes so that my delimiter comes immediately after that 4th
byte. My sqlplus options are as follows:

set newpage 0 space 0 linesize 5000 pagesize 0 echo off recsep off feedback
off
heading off trimspool on colsep "|"

Bill Carle
AT&T