Perhaps this is a rudimentary question but I haven't
found any good info on this topic. Would someone
please explain the difference between a library cache
lock and a library cache pin?

Is the first simply a dictionary lock on a physical
object (i.e. table) whereas the second is a dictionary
lock on a piece of code (i.e. procedure, function,
trigger)?

According to what I've read, I can query x$kgllk where
kgllkreq=0 to find the library object locks in the
database. How do I know if the lock is a library cache
lock vs. a library cache pin, simply by inference due
to the type of object?

If I perform a systemstate dump and see 'mode=S' under
a process, does that mean that the process has
a 'share' lock on the object? If so, I'm confused as
to why I don't see a corresponding lock in v$lock.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks VERY much in
advance.

-Walt

Author: Walter K