Title: RE: disable validate on a partitioned table?

This is probably b/c the unique key does not include the partitioning key.

Waleed
-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Kilchoer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 8:33 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: [Possible Spam - go to http://spam.fmr.com] RE: disable validate on a partitioned table?

-----Original Message-----
>From: Khedr, Waleed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
>As you know for a partitioned table: unique constraints
> could be enforced by a local index or global index.
>
>For local index: the unique key will be part of the partitioning key.
>So for a partitioned table with a unique key that is a part
> of the partitioning key, Loading a partition or exchanging
> it does not require a full table scan or reading all partitions.
>
>Uniqueness will be checked in memory during the load/exchange
> process for only one partition.

I see. So it will require a "full partition" scan but not a full table scan. That makes sense.
In any case my question was moot because I was unable to do an "alter table ... exchange partition ... " on a table with a disable validate key, even though the documentation says that's one of the times when it would be useful. When I tried doing the exchange partition I received

ORA-25132 UNIQUE constraint (JRK.COUNTRY_UQ1) disabled and validated in ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE PARTITION