Hi,

I am looking after an Oracle EE V8.1.6 database on Solaris 2.6 and I have
been monitoring the database to try and look for causes of poor performance.
I have been using Quest SQLLab Vision which is one of the tools around that
will look at the SGA directly and sample stats multiple times /sec.  Based
upon the information I get back, I can see that the following query...

SELECT STAGE_DATA_SEQ.NEXTVAL FROM DUAL;

Seems to use a significant amount of resource when you take into account the
number of times it is executed.  The query plan shows a full scan of
sys.dual and it uses significant CPU and I/O.

Is there a better (less resource intensive) way to get the nextval??  It may
seem a little petty but it just happens that this query is the second
highest resource user when you take into account the number of times it is
executed.

Thanks,
Ken
Clinical and Regulatory Informatics - Groton/New London
Coordinator, Business and Technical Services
Tel: (860) 732-0026 Fax: (860) 715-8346
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged.
It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is
unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents
of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized
and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.
Author: Fowler, Kenneth R