Sounds like you svrmgrl commands are in a "where document".  You need to escape the $,
ie

select name from v\$database ;

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      10/02/02 04:28 PM        cc:

                      Please respond to        Subject:  svrmgrl echo v$database in
script
                      ORACLE-L

Oracle 8.0.5
Solaris 2.6

List:
I've created a script (ksh) called from elsewhere that shuts down the
database.  I REALLY want to echo the name of the database into my log file
before I shut down.    While "select name from v$database" works fine from
svrmgrl interactively, it throws up in the script.  I'd guess the $ sign is
screwing it up.  (I can get other commands to work within the script.)
However, I don't know what to do about it.

Any ideas?

Thx!!!

Barb

$ svrmgrl

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> select name from v$database;
NAME
---------
TADENT
1 row selected.

#!/usr/bin/ksh
# $Id: stop_db.sh ver.1 10/02/2002 B.Baker Exp $
# Name:         stop_db.sh
# Author:       Barb Baker
# Purpose:      execute shutdown immediate on current database
#               (i.e., database pointed to by current value of ORACLE_SID)
echo "Stop oracle instance \"${ORACLE_SID}\"  at `date` "
           ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/svrmgrl << EOF
                   connect internal
                   select name from v_$database;
EOF

$  ./stop_db.sh
Stop oracle instance "tadent"  at Wed Oct  2 16:24:59 MDT 2002

SVRMGR> Connected.
SVRMGR>                    select name from v_
                      *
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
SVRMGR>
Server Manager complete.