BHR  has taken quite a beating. I am sure the point everyone's trying to
make is that a 99% BHR does not indicate a well tuned database, and a 50%
BHR does not indicate a poorly peforming database.  A low BHR does not mean
I need to increase db_buffers as was believed and practiced earlier. Point
well taken and understood. But, it "CAN" be an indicator that something out
of the ordinary is happening in my well tuned database. I emphasize on
"CAN". Why have the PIO's increased so suddenly? Say, if the BHR is
consistently around 80, and suddenly, it drops to 70, or rises to 95, I
want to know why? What you infer from the BHR is what counts. There would
definitely be other ways of finding this out. Or are there?

Regards
Raj

                    "Grabowy,

                    Chris"               To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <cgrabowy@fcg        cc:

                    .com>                Subject:     RE: Performance monitoring

                    Sent by:

                    root@fatcity.

                    com

                    October 03,

                    2002 04:53 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Of course!!

I just laughed when he published that script, and didn't think anything
more of it.  Now I can use it to "drive home" my point.  Excellent.

Thanks Kirti.