There is a Metalink note (73431.1) which talks about
the rman version compatibility, but it also states:

"Ensure that the RMAN executable version matches the
version of the target database that it is backing up"

which I presume to mean that you need to run rman from
each target and "push" to the catalog & storage
management node(s).  This is how I've always seen it
done - but I've often wondered if one could get away
driving eveything from the catalog node, pulling
client databases over sqlnet  - thus only having a
single TSM client (and license) on the rman catalog
node.

Cheers
Connor

 --- "MacGregor, Ian A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote: > I'm  trying to use RMAN and TSM to backup
multiple
> databases spread across various nodes with some
> nodes hosting more than one database.  The RMAN
> catalog database will reside on a node different
> from  any of the nodes hosting the other databases.
> I have long used ADSM  without the RMAN clothing to
> backup the databases.  I have convinced the SA's to
> move on to TSM, and now I need to add the RMAN
> adornments.
>
> I assume I need the SA's to install TDP  for Oracle
> on all the nodes requiring RMAN backup.  Do I also
> need to install it on  the machine which will host
> the catalog database.  That database will undergo
> cold backup using "naked" TSM.  The same question
> applies to the tdpo.opt file.  Do I need multiple
> TDPO_FS values and multiple tdpo.opt files to hold
> them.
>

> I am also assuming I will start RMAN from one of the
> databases requiring backup and connect also to the
> RMAN catalog.  Is this typical.
>
> Ian MacGregor
> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
> http://www.fatcity.com
> hosting services

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=