Dick Goulet
Author: "Marc Perkowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:       10/14/2002 2:09 PM

RE: No Nulls? (was: Warehouse design: snowflake vs star schemThis is true.  But
you still need to add logic to your application to suppress displaying the
termination date when it is = "01/01/4000".  I can pretty well guarantee your
users will not like seeing a "dummy" date on their reports and screens.

And in this case, you cannot use sysdate, as they will want to see if someone is
scheduled for termination in the near future, say for one of the too frequent
layoffs that are happening these days.

You will also need to protect against someone inputting this value or a higher
value as that will complicate things.

The point is that using defaults or dummy values is not a pain-free alternative
to nulls.  If you do use these, be sure to be consistent and, as usual, document
these.  Probably a good approach, if you use PL/SQL, is to create a
package-level variable that can be used globally.  That way you can avoid using
hard-coded values.  You could also use this approach with languages that are
using embedded SQL or ODBC/JDBC.  Alternatively, you could use a construct
within the language like Java's final static constants.

Marc Perkowitz