> I'm not sure about the upgrade from WinNT to Win2K, but the
> easiest remedy for the DB not auto-starting is to delete and
> re-create the service.
>
> You can use ORADIM, and then while re-creating the service,
> you can use option of autostart.
>
> Regards
> Naveen

Hi

Yes, that's part of the problem/original bug where oradim could not
recreate the service after deleting it. You need to reboot. Here is the
bug 1266248

"
Problem is with the call that is made to ORADIM.EXE by the service when
the  registry entry ora_sid_autostart=true.  Oradim hangs, the service
is shown to  be in status 'starting' and the service oracleservicesid
cannot be stopped.

ORACLE.EXE must be killed from Task Manager, and ORADIM.EXE cannot be
killed.    Setting reg entry ora_sid_autostart=false, and rebooting,
resolves the issue,  leaving us, of course, without an aotostart option.

 It is worth noting that dispite the status of the service, the database
can be  started and stopped manually from Server Manager.  The error is
only on the  service attempting to autostart the database. We removed
and rebuilt oracleservicesid using Oradim, and this fixed the  problem
temporarily.

We were able to use the service to start/stop, until a  reboot, after
which the same problem occurs.
"

I was just off the phone with Oracle, and was advised to start another
tar...

Thanks
bob
Author: Bob Metelsky