Naveen:
   What Oracle version are you using?
   The LGWR behavior has changed in version 8i.

   As far as I know (and you can read many papers about it in ixora site),
the redo copy latches are requested as immediate (no-wait mode),  all of
them except the last one. The last one is requested in wait mode.
   As you have many redo copy latches Oracle does not waste any time
sleeping for one of them, he tries the other ones first and sleep for the
last one.
   BUT this is the LGWR behavior up to version 7.3.4, I think that in newer
versions (8i ....9i) it has changed a lot, and I believe that Oracle does
not wait for the redo copy latches any longer.

   I hope some Guru could confirm this and explain the new behavior in
detail.

HTH
Greetings
Diego Cutrone

Hi All,

When looking at v$latch it gave me the following stats for 'redo copy'

GETS: 35
MISSES: 21
IMMEDIATE_GETS: 326975
IMMEDIATE_MISSES: 65

according to my understanding 'redo copy' is required when the process
writes
to the redo buffer. am i right?

if i'm right, why is it that this latch is requested with a no-wait
option(evident from high IMMEDIATE_GETS as compared to GETS).

regards
Naveen
Author: Naveen Nahata

Author: dcutrone