Thanks Rajesh , well explained . I had same idea . that SID is instance indentifier .

-oramagic .

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Simply speaking, consider SID to be the name for the various background
process (DBWR, LGWR, et all) and the memory structures (SGA, PGA). A SID
needs to be associated with a database, which would be the DB_NAME. The SID
and DB_NAME need not be the same. They have to be different in an Oracle
Parallel Server environment, where you can have two SID's say ORA1 and ORA2
associated with the same database, say ORA.

Raj

ora ak

hoo.com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: SID and DB_NAME
root@fatcity.
com

October 24,
2002 11:23 PM
Please
respond to
ORACLE-L

I know this novice question for dba's but just wanted to refresh this ,

what is difference between SID and DATABASE_NAME , why init.ora file
! ! shouldhave database name same as SID and in what circumstances SID and
DB_NAME can be different .

TIA

oramagic