Things seem a little slow on the list ( like I need more email :)

Some choice bits from Dr Dobbs Journal, November 1988.

Some you may actually have been working in IT then.  ;)

Jared

If a single word sums up the current state of computing, that word is
confusion. It's hard to remember a time when the PC industry
was in a more confounding state of affairs. Now, more than ever, there is
a bewildering array of choices in everything from
operating systems to hardware architectures. And the choices aren't
getting any easier.

Take a look at operating systems, for example. It was only a few years ago
that developers had a scarcity of options. There was
CP/M, AppleDOS, and a few other systems available--TRS-DOS (boy, there's a
stab from the past) was one I worked
with--but for the most part, choices were few and the stakes relatively
low.

Today, developers must decide between DOS, OS/2, Unix (pick your favorite
flavor), the Macintosh, and a host of other more
specialized alternatives. If you pick the wrong development platform, the
results may not be a pretty sight.

In the same sense, the Macintosh was basically the only dominant windowing
system three or four years ago. Today, there's at
least a dozen, including Windows/Presentation Manager, the Macintosh,
X-Windows, Rooms, GEM, and New Wave, to
mention a few.

Now, throw in a wildcard, like Display Postscript (Steve Jobs' choice),
and take into consideration the rumor that former
operating system rivals Digital Research and Microsoft are considering
offering DRI's GEM application-development tool kit as a
development tool for Presentation Manager. Now you're faced with a
perplexing array of opportunities or quagmires, depending
on your perspective.

And things are just as confusing on the hardware side. We've somehow moved
from a couple of accepted architectures (the AT
bus and a closed-system Mac) to a plethora of standards that include the
Micro Channel Architecture (MCA), the NuBus, and,
more recently, the Extended Industry Standard Architecture (EISA). (EISA
is a 32-bit extension of the AT bus that has been
endorsed by several PC manufacturers--IBM not among them--that supposedly
provides the performance benefits of the MCA,
yet is compatible with existing AT-bus cards.) Not to mention, last
month's introduction of Steve Jobs' NeXT workstation and the
whisperings about an 80386 machine waiting in the wings at Apple. I'm
getting an ulcer just writing about it.

Now consider the various incarnations and implementations of programming
languages. Should you go with C or begin thinking
about C++? What about Modula-2? There are some powerful new Modula
compilers out there that deserve consideration, and
the renewed promise of Basic (hearken back to Bill Gates' remarks about
Object-Basic) as a serious development platform.

Anecdotically, a developer I know wrote a complicated Windows application
in Pascal. He wound up rewriting the entire project
after he figured out that Modula-2 would enable him to better accomplish
what he was trying to do.

Regardless of what the soothsayers predicted a couple of years ago,
nothing about computing--from either the developer's or the
end user's perspective--is getting any easier. Now, I'm not complaining
about more powerful systems, you understand, or about
the diversity of choices we're faced with today. I'll put it this way,
it's better to be rich and healthy than sick and poor.

The point to all of this is that developing for and porting between
different environments is no easy matter. Developers must
choose wisely and well. Some platforms won't be alive and kicking
tomorrow. For that matter, neither will developers who've
made the wrong choice.