Dear List,

Believe me, I am not trying to rehash an old topic, start any
flame wars, nor look for supporting evidence for my admitted
bias toward unix operating systems.

Now that that's out of the way, what I am trying to do is find
objective material comparing the use of MS Windows 2000
Server on Intel HW to Solaris on Sun HW.

This is for an SAP implementation.  We are currently running
SAP 4.0b on MS NT 4.0 SP 6, on Dell 4 CPU Servers. ( I forget
just which server )

As part of our process to upgrade the system to 4.6c and more
recent versions of Oracle ( like 8.1.7 ), we are trying to do a
comparison of the features, benefits and advantages of using
Win2k Server and Solaris.

Please don't refer me to such sites as www.kirch.net and
www.osdata.com.   The information at www.kirch.net is dated
and applies to NT, not Win2k.

osdata.com is a nice site, but doesn't really offer comparisons,
just information on each OS.

There is quite a bit of material available at www.microsoft.com.

Try:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/compare/

PC Mag has a nice article comparing different platforms for use as a
webserver: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,6615,00.asp

They actually chose IBM running Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is in use here as a server platform for one database that
is used as the backend to a rather troublesome application.  The Win2k
server is running Oracle 8.1.6.2.  The database has been bounced 2 or
3 times in the last year.

Once was to clear up a strange but non-fatal problem with Oracle.  That
was
back in July, the previous system restart had been in December 2001.
Server
and database were up without interruption for 7 months.

Though I prefer Solaris,  I'm having a difficult time coming up with many
valid
reasons for recommending it over Win2k.

A few that I do have:

Sun service is superior to Dell service.  They've proven this to us.  ( We
have other
Sun machines in house )

Sun scales better.  At least on 32 bits.  We're at 4 CPU's.  If we need to
go past that
I would think we should go with Sun.  I don't know about Win2k Advanced
Server, as it
is a 64 bit platform, and I think the licensing would go up quite a bit.

I welcome all objective comparisons of Solaris and Win2k Server, whether
your own
thoughts, or a link or links to articles you are aware of.

Thanks,

Jared