Zhu Chao,

Please be aware that rollback segments serve two major purposes:

    * recover individual transactions (i.e. rollback)
    * provide before-image information for read-consistency

The information you are getting from V$ROLLSTAT and STATSPACK is accurate at
measuring the first purpose only.  Until Oracle9i and the V$UNDOSTAT view
that accompanies the use of UNDO tablespaces, it is very difficult to
estimate how much space is necessary to satisfy the needs of SQL statements
requiring before-image information in order to complete successfully without
the ORA-01555 "snapshot too old" error message.

First of all, the size or number of extents in a rollback segment does not
affect the performance of SQL statements.  Of course, if the size of the
extents is extremely small and the number of extents varies wildly up and
down, then the sheer overhead of extent maintenance might be a performance
factor.  Since you are examining V$ROLLSTAT and STATSPACK, you have info as
to whether this is happening in hand (i.e. columns EXTENDS and SHRINKS in
V$ROLLSTAT)...

So, since there is no adverse impact related to the number and size of
extents for RBS (other than that mentioned above, easily verifiable), and
since reducing the amount of space in your RBS can increase the probability
of incurring the ORA-01555 error, I'd like to suggest that the only
advantage you can gain by reducing the size or number of extents is saving
space.  Is space a concern?

message.  Since only end-users become aware of it (i.e. it is not logged in
"alert.log" or in trace files), you might want to activate an AFTER
SERVERERROR database-event trigger (if you are running 8i or above) to log
occurrances of it.  Otherwise, you'll need to be certain that end-users have
a reliable feedback mechanism to alert you to any changes in the frequency
of ORA-01555.

All in all, I think you should leave things alone, unless there is a
quantifiable problem.

Just some things to consider...

-Tim