Hope not everybody is off to OOW :(

Did anybody get the above combo working? I know that
Oracle is not certified on Mandrake and I don't
care... as long as I can make it work that is

Here are the facts:
1) HW: One way 2.4 GH box with 1GB DDR RAM, plenty of
disk space
2) SW/OS: Mandrake 9 / 2.4.19-16mdk enterprise w/ the
latest security patches applied
3) Plenty of swap (as per free, swapon -s, cat
/proc/swaps) and /temp

Here's `rpm -q gcc cpp glibc-devel kernel-headers
binutils` output:

gcc-3.2-1mdk
package cpp is not installed
glibc-devel-2.2.5-16mdk
kernel-headres-2.4.18-41mdk
binutils-2.12.90.0.15-1mdk

OUI came up smoothly (had some troubles to convince it
to come up with 8.1.7 on the same box - previous
install, first OH). I went with Enterprise
DB/SoftwareOnly option

Problem:
1) at 61% on <PL/SQL Embedded Gateway install> error
pops up:
"Error in writting to
$OH/wwg/admin/images/credits.gif"

- fuser on credits.gif doesn't show that somebody is
using it
- deleteting it (and/or the whole $OH/wwg directory)
doesn't help as OUI simply re-creates them and gets
stuck on the same error message
- oraInventory log doesn't add any additional info
- tried to re-install it I think a dosen times by now
in diff. variations (Custom/w seed DB/ etc.) with the
same result
- applying 9.2.0.2 patch and re-install of the same
component didn't help eigther (not sure why I expected
it to help, but I seemed to exaust all the other
options)...

Is it a bad disk sector (no idea how to check disk for
bad sectors on Linux)? Is it Oracle's corrupted jar
file (no idea how to find name of the jar and test it
for corruptions)?

2) The above error wouldn't bother me too much (no
other errors at the install phase), but I also got
stuck at the relinking phase which seem to be related
to the error above.

The reason is that my $OH/rdbms/lib is missing
config.c, opimai.o, ssoraed.o, ttcsoi.o and may be
others. So cancelling/ignoring PL/SQL Embedded Gateway
component (what is it anyway? Sounds like Transparent
gateways to Bill/Informix/DB2 etc. to me) seem to
cancel installation of some critical files needed for
relinking...

Coping config.c from 8.1.7.4 (different binary
tree/OH, even diff OS acount) doesn't seem to help:

make -f ins_rdbms.mk config

fails with infamous "Error 1" error. Coping config.o
and the rest 3 o files missing and relinking via
<relink oracle> or <make -f ins_rdbms.mk install> gets
a little futher, but fails latter with the same "Error
1"

Reasons? Others seem to indicate 2 prime reasons: "-z
defs" issue and binutils version:

a- "-z defs" in LD_SELF_CONTAINED inside $OH/genclntsh
doesn't seem to be an issue in my case. Oracle
automatically comments it out, but even if I uncomment
it and re-run genclntsh I get the same result:

basename: too few arguments
Try 'basename --help'
cp: missing file arguments
Try 'cp --help'
Created $OH/lib/libclntst9.a

So not everything is 100%, but at least I got
libclntst9.a generated eigther way

b- binutils? Not sure if it's still an issue in 9.2.
Mine seems to be way higher than the one Oracle was
ready to swallow in 9.1. I know for sure I didn't have
a problem with 9.0.1 on Mandrake 8.0...

Net result so far: I can confirm that Oracle Client
9.2 works like a charm on Mandrake9 :(. As far as the
rest, so far I fail to get oracle, orapwd and others
in my $OH/bin...

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Boris