Assuming you have stored the backup sets onto tape (we hope!!), you must
first get them off the tape using the OS, and put them back where rman put
them when you ran the backup.  After that, rman will find the backup sets
and restore things where they are supposed to go.  If, in the worst-case
scenario (everything gets blown away), you must put the control_file.bak
back, you copy that "by hand" at the OS level to the location and file name
specified in the init.ora.  When not using a catalog database, the control
file IS your catalog; so it is a most sacred and hallowed object ... even
when nothing else is (referring to another thread that had been running).
And that is why you make a copy of it AT THE END of the backup.

Author: Stephen Lee