It is not uncommon to find the problem disappearing after switching debugging/tracing
on, but in this case I'm wondering if its some feature with 9201? Are your test/prod
on the same patch release? or you have already applied 9202 to your test environment?

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/16/02 11:48a.m. >>>
Okay ... here is a curved ball ...

This AM an application support person called and mentioned that we have a
form that has become slow compared to 2 days ago. So we saw the slow
behavior and then I did a 10046 trace on it.

After analysis, found that one query is taking about 90% of total time and
isolated it to be worked on.

On our day-old instance (refreshed daily from prod), this form runs very
fast. After comparing everything, I found that for some test we have
db_file_multiblock_read_count = 4 whereas it is 32 (don't ask) on
production.

So after changing this variable in my session to 4 (on production), I
checked the explain plan and it seems to be okay, picking up the right
indexes etc.

So, I asked the support person to add following line in pre-form trigger on
the form and run a test

forms_ddl('alter session set db_file_multiblock_read_count=4');

ran the form, no change in the performance. So I requested following like to
be addes as well

forms_ddl('alter session set events ''10046 trace name context forever,
level 8''');

The form runs as fast as it can.

So we thought maybe flushing the shared pool might help, so we flushed the
shared pool (again don't ask, this is prod env, lunch time, light load).

Still same, with 10046 event set, the form runs as fast as it can, but if I
take it out, it slows down.

I am confused ... does anyone have a plausible explanation on why this is
happening?

Oracle 9201, AIX 5l
Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni              MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

Author: Binley Lim