Title: Message
Hello list.

I have recently been tasked with trying to optimize some slow performing queries (Oracle 8.1.7) for an application that generates reports in a data warehouse type environment.  I have noticed in most of the queries that the table names have been aliased, but not used elsewhere in the query.

IE.   SELECT  table1.column1,
                      table1.column2,
                      table2.column1
       FROM     table1 A,
                      table2 B
       WHERE   table1.key = table2.key;

Are there any advantage/disadvantages to giving these tables aliases and not using them anywhere else?   I am thinking that if the tables have been assigned alias names, they should be referred to by alias names, but I guess I have not seen anything documented on this officially.   These queries join tables against remote tables in a different instance, if that makes a difference.  Any insight on this would be great.

Thanks.

Wendy Hopper