No - it means you have monitoring set on (at least)
207 tables, and the 207 of them have had a
modification (ins/upd/del) since the monitoring was
enabled.

This data is used to determine whether the stats are
stale or not.  Its documented somewhere, but I think
its around the 10% mark before marked as stale.

Also, there are a number of bugs in different versions
where gather_stale either does not work, or misses
some objects etc...I'd recommend 8174 if you plan on
relying on it

hth
connor

 --- Gillian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
> This is an 8.1.7.0.0 data on Solaris 8.
>
> I set monitoring to YES in all 14000+ tables.
> In the sys.dba_tab_modifications table there are 207
> tables.
> Question: Does this mean that there are 207 tables
> with STALE staistics? From what I have read, that
> answer is suppose to be - yes.
> When I run the following script nightly, the number
> of tables (all owned by DBADMIN), in the
> sys.dba_tab_modifications is not decreasing:
> execute dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats ('DBADMIN',
> NULL, FALSE, 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1', NULL,
> 'DEFAULT', TRUE, NULL, NULL, 'GATHER STALE',
> 'LIST');
> Here is a sample output from the
> sys.dba_tab_modifications  table:
> TABLE_NAME                     TIMESTAMP
> ------------------------------ ---------
> PS_VENDOR_WTHD_JUR             20-NOV-02
> PS_VNDR_ADDR_SCROL             20-NOV-02
> PS_VNDR_BANK_ACCT              20-NOV-02
> PS_VNDR_CNTCT_SCR              20-NOV-02
> PS_VNDR_LOC_SCROL              20-NOV-02
> PS_VNDR_URL                    18-NOV-02
> PS_VOUCHER                     20-NOV-02
> PS_VOUCHER_LINE                20-NOV-02
> PS_XE_XREF_TMW                 19-NOV-02
> 207 rows selected.
> SQL> select last_analyzed from dba_tables where
> table_name='PS_XE_XREF_TMW';
> LAST_ANAL
> ---------
> 20-OCT-02
> Question:
> I do not understand why last_analyzed is Oct 20th,
> when I have the dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats (see
> above) script running nightly. Montoring is YES is
> dba_tables.
> AAArrgghhh . . . am I missing something?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gillian

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish, and...he will
sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=