Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 9:05 PM
Subject: patches

I am wondering how your sites handle patching production servers.

I just did a search in MetaLink, since 8174 was released there have been 48 patches (if I just select RDBMS).

If I select other items in my search, I get upwards of 70 additional bug fixes.

How do high reliability sites handle patching?  I assume they would rather fix potential problems (testing the patches on a testbed of course) rather than just apply bug fixes as problems are encountered on production servers.

regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)