>===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] =====
>Oracle 8i on NT4.0
>
>via the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant create another
>database.
>ie create another database with its instance and by default the
>db name and instance are same. say i proceed forward and create it.
>so now the box would have 2 separate services...
>    OracleService<SID1>
>    OracleService<SID2>
>
>is that correct ?
-->  Yes this is correct.

>question:
>if yes then next if i would start the svrmgrl and do a startup then
>which instance would be started ?
--> The default instance.

>is there a way to give the startup command to get only a particular instance
>started ?
-->  Yes, set the ORACLE_SID environment variable to the SID that you want
started and just issue "startup" in svrmgrl.

>Next, the docs mention that it is possible to have two or more
>instance(s) associated with a given database. The above example
>shows two separate database, each with its one unique database.
>So how does one implement or have 2 instances for a given database
>?
-->  I believe you have to have RAC/Parallel Server for this kind of setup.
I've never had a reason to do this. Hopefully someone else who has done this
before could shed more light on this topic.

>can someone explain the difference between the two scenarios ?
-->  I can't answer this one for you.  Sorry.

-Scott Stefick

Author: sstefick