From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jamadagni, Rajendra
Sent: 03 December 2002 14:32
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: SLA Trigger/Procedure

Go buy a tool? Here is an idea instead ...

Write a small Perl (pick your favorite language here) script that looks at /etc/oratab followed by a check to see if each of the instances listed in /etc/oratab is up on the side where it is checking. It then log in as a schema (we call it) called heartbeat, insert a row into a table with sysdate. Wait 3 seconds, retrieve the row and checks the time difference. If it is more than 5 seconds, you have a potential delay somewhere and have it alert appropriate people. (If it is night, page your VP with "This is your heartbeat calling ... we have a problem" ...)

Life is great with "cron" ...
HTH
Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni              MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.
QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!