I would recommend a restore because you are going to backup for applying a
patch anyway RIGHT?  Logminer would do nothing as far as the OS files
getting overwritten by applying the patch.

Rick

                    Scott Stefick

                    <sstefick@harper       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    .cc.il.us>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    12/03/2002 02:21

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Gurus,

I was just given a project to maintain a Computerized Maintenance
Management System.  When I asked the companies support staff how to roll
back patches in the backend Oracle Database (Ver. 8174), they said that
there was no way to do this.  I'm guessing I could use logminer just incase

a patch doesn't work.  Would this be a good solution, or are there other
(better) ways of safeguarding myself when it comes to patching?  Obviously,

I will be applying the patches to a test instance first, but I don't want
to have to go back to restore from a backup if the patch causes unexpected
issues.

TIA!

Scott Stefick
UNIX Systems Administrator